> Erm... far be it from me to argue with the master on
the
> performance of the actual physical hardware, but
isn't the
> point here that they've generated a
worst-possible-case
> scenario (is this called a degenerate case these
days?)

>I think that the word you're searching for is
>"pathological".

Its only pathological in the sense that is forces the
condition to emphasize its effect. We did not start
with this case.

What we did notice is that a data base random write
was much slower than a data base random read for a
large data base. Examination showed that no I/O was
actually taking place because of the Linux caching of
buffers and retention of dirty buffers. (and as I said
before, no paging).

We first eliminated the I/O entirely by
reading/writing to /dev/shm and saw the same effect -
the random reads were much slower than the sequential
reads to the data base.

To further identify the problem, we eliminated the I/O
code itself and changed it to do stores and reads from
memory. We got similar results. After rearranging the
code further, we ended up with the so-called
"pathological" case, which tracks the elapsed time
curves we were seeing originially, but showed the
cause more dramatically.

I think you have to re-examine what you might think to
be "worst case" scenario when you start doing things
like running many EC machines where the cummulative
effect is to overwhelm L1/L2 cache or if you are
trying to use code that has bad locality of reference
for large data bases. This may also have implications
in writing kernel code for the zSeries when trying to
get the best possible performance.

Throwing more hardware at it won't solve this poor
performance problem. Adding CP's or memory may
aggravate it! The only solution that I see is reducing
locality of reference (working set size).

And if you are trying to improve the performance of
your systems, you may be overlooking what may be a
major contributor - the assumptions of the hardware
architect vs the assumptions of the software designer.

=====
Jim Sibley
Implementor of Linux on zSeries in the beautiful Silicon Valley

"Computer are useless.They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso