On Gwe, 2003-08-15 at 14:49, Carpenter, Mark wrote:
> Refer to my reply to Alan Cox.  The files don't have to be closed to
> 'release' their buffercache pages.  Buffercache pages are 'stolen' all the
> time to hold the contents of more current active files.

There is a difference between choosing to drop a page (which can be done
most but not all of the time) and discarding it entirely even if its
being used/executed and is mapped.

In addition you have other caches and quick lookup tables holding file
system structures and metadata, you also have ordering requirements.