> This is actually a Bustech Netshuttle, and other Linux
> machines are up and
> running on it without incident.  In other words the
> Netshuttle was already
> initialized.

Yes, but each subchannel interface also has some housekeeping to do when it
goes active. That's my guess as to where something is taking a bit longer
than expected. You don't say whether this is following a VM IPL -- I'm
guessing that might be the case -- and if so, and there are lots of other
machines initializing interfaces at the same time, it could certainly cause
behavior like this.

I've had a couple of real 3172s in the past that had to be coddled a bit
after an IPL due to this sort of problem. Either that, or they just really
like my company at 3 am...8-)

-- db