Crossposted to IBM-MAIN, VSE-L, VMESA-L, LINUX-390

I'm writing an article on "Running A Lean IT Organization", describing how
data centers work efficiently (using appropriate resources, eliminating
waste) and effectively (doing the right things).

This is for a newsletter on "IT cost management strategies"; the audience
is mid-level and senior executives looking for strategic advice. They're
not necessarily too technical and they're likely *not* directly oriented
towards finance/accounting.

While dot-com companies crashed after 2000, IT -- corporate data centers
-- have been getting leaner for even longer. On-site vendor staffers
vanished, hardware/software supplier handholding mostly ended,
everything's billable. IT became a means to an end requiring disciplined
budgeting, no longer a black hole to be unquestioningly filled with money.
Headcounts shrunk, functions have been outsources and offshored.

So, questions: What are best IT practices for surviving these and future
changes? How are computing platforms chosen for new applications? When are
legacy apps ported to newer platforms? What processes keep IT plans and
activities aligned with organizational goals rather than drifting? How are
internal/external feedback generated and prioritized to keep user
requirements centered in IT management's thinking? Etc. This list isn't
exhaustive -- what other issues enter into "lean thinking" for IT?

I'll appreciate comments/insights and pointers to resources for this. Be
brief, articles are about 1000-1500 words each.

Please respond directly to [EMAIL PROTECTED] since I get this list in
digest form and the deadline for the article is real soon. Thanks.

BTW, for people who have responded to earlier queries and have asked to
see the resulting articles -- I'm working with the publisher to make the
articles available, we just haven't worked it all out yet.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 941-1657
6580 Bermuda Green Court, Alexandria, VA 22312-3103    [EMAIL PROTECTED]