Once upon a time, our former storage administrator carved up a new shark
box and gave me 8 3390-mod 9's and 8 3390-mod 3's, for 2 Linux Lpars.
Things went merrily along until we attempted to do a disaster recovery test
of Linux, where I discovered that the 3390-9's were exactly 100 cylinders
too large.

So I have mod-9 architected dasd carved up in ESS (shark) box, at 10117
cyl, as opposed to 10017 cyl. Near as we can tell this was a fat finger
mistake. This HAS resulted in my being unable to use dfdss tools to restore
the backup to a real mod 9, because the dataset is too big.

I am fortunate that 1/2 of the aforementioned dasd has not been made into a
system, and I can re-format those partitions under Linux to be the correct
size, and then use an internal copy process to copy the data.

The questions I have are this:

How many 4096 byte blocks make up 10117 cylinders without going over, and
allowing room for the VTOC?

Secondly, since DD will likely not work to copy the current images to the
slightly smaller partitions on the other volumes, does anyone have a
preferred method of doing a file system copy that will copy everything
verbatim (keep the user info, group info, symlinks etc) but do it at the
file level?

I have looked at pax and tar, and they have me confused on the exact syntax
to accomplish what I want. DD is the most straightforward, but I am
concerned that using a block level disk copy tool I will lose data or
otherwise munge things moving to a smaller partition.

The file system utilization is low

/dev/dasdb1            7169608    255592   6549812   4% /
/dev/dasdc1            7169608     40264   6765140   1% /var
/dev/dasdd1            7169608   4039356   2766048  60% /opt
/dev/dasde1            7169608    838428   5966976  13% /usr
/dev/dasdf1             858100      9280    805232   2% /tmp

So, can I get away with a dd copy, then mount everything under /mnt and
zipl, or does the collected wisdom of the list suggest another method? If
so what is the syntax that will succeed at doing what DD does, but at the
file level instead of block level?

-James