From: Adam Thornton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 11:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: z/VM and VMware

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 09:39, Tobleman, Vicky wrote:
> We're considering partitioning larger Intel servers using VMware and
> setting up our Linux environments ... production and development.  Is
> anyone else doing this - have any experiences to share?  Pros/Cons?
> And is 6 servers per engine consolidation reasonable (i.e., 4 engines
> would equate to 24 machines)?  Realizing that it is dependent on type
> of workload - file, print, web, etc.  We've got a few Linux Intel
> boxes and would like to avoid the WinTel farms we've acquired.

It's a reasonable idea.  Obviously how many virtual servers you get per
physical box varies by workload and by box.

In general, if what you want to do is file, print, and web (but you don't
need IIS-specific stuff for the web applications) you're better off in terms
of performance-per-cycle with Linux than Windows--you probably knew that,
though.  Linux/390 gives you much, much better manageability than a farm of
VMWare boxes, but you probably knew that too.

One thing that VMWare gives you that is absolutely wonderful, and too often
overlooked, is consistency of hardware.  Two machines of what is supposedly
the same model from the same vendor will, in the x86 world, often have
notably different components; VMWare does an end-run around that, so the
"hardware" each of your VMWare images sees really is identical.  That makes
a fair chunk of the pain of Windows go away right there.

Adam