I've been receiving the following and have been ignoring it since everything
appeared to be running okay.  But, I got a little curious and thought I'd
ask around to see if anyone knows the "right" way to get rid of it.

kernel:  qeth: setip : return code 0xe005 (duplicate ip address)
kernel:  qeth: was not able to set ip
fe80:0000:0000:0000:0002:5500:009a:b693/64 on irq x0
kernel: eth0: duplicate address detected!

What I've been able to determine is that it only occurs if you have more
than one LPAR sharing the card.  Intra-LPAR sharing (multiple VM guests)
appears to be okay as the v6 addr changes with the MAC address.  (Although,
I could swear I saw it happen once or twice.)

SLES8 uses the "ip" command to bring up the card and when it does, it
appears that the QETH driver automagically puts in the v6 addr for us.
Unfortunately, it's based on the MAC addr and is the same across LPARs.

Best I could come up with was to add an "ip addr flush..." immediately
following the "...set up..." command in the "ifup" script.

It works...it taint perfect...there's gotta be a better way...any ideas?

Versions:

  z/VM Version 4 Release 3.0, Service Level 0301 (64-bit)
  Linux tux 2.4.19-4suse-SMP #1 SMP Sat Oct 11 00:08:23 CDT 2003 s390x
unknown
  QDIO OSA-Express driver ($Revision: 1.260.2.24 $)
  iproute2-2.4.7-135

Thanks much,

Leland

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
message.