From: Henry Schaffer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 8:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT: Re: "Political Correctness" goes mad in L.A. County
(USA)

  When I read the following portion:

"... someone within the County bureaucracy b a person who probably
didn't understand computer terminology b had taken offense at
'master/slave' references and complained to the board, whereupon the
Internal Services Department was obligated to issue notification
requesting that vendors refrain from using that terminology."

I really wondered about the sanity of the County.  If a person says, "I
am offended by the the word "computer" - is the ISD really *"obligated"*
to request ... ?  I.e. is there any limit to what people can claim to
find offensive?

  By the way, an electrical circuit design text copyrighted 1975 uses
the "master/slave" terminology.  So this is a long-standing technology
usage.
--
--henry schaffer

P.S. Will "male" and "female" connectors be next?