G'day Sophia,

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, alikhani wrote:

> Hi
> I have Suse-smp on VM as a guest .I need to get a backup on tape drive .
> My VM admin attach the tape device to linux but I don't know how to
> mount it and use it .

The tape drive is not a DASD, so /proc/dasd/devices will not help you.
You'll need to use a tape module -- depending on the type of tape drive
you're using and the level of your kernel, it will either be an OCO module
(for the IBM 3590) or an Open Source driver (for 3480/3490 compatibles).

Check out the appropriate version of the Linux Device Drivers manual
(appropriate for your level of kernel, that is) for additional
information.  There is also a little bit of information about using tape
devices in the "ISP/ASP Solutions" redbook, but it's probably changed a
little since we wrote that.

Hoo-roo,
Vic Cross