I was looking to have RH across my enterprise.  Take advantage of Red Hat
Network etc. . .   If I do in fact loose Red Hat support by altering the
kernel can I obtain that support from IBM.  My understanding was that with
z/Linux you basically had to purchase 2 support contracts, see other
message post.  I would get my updates etc. . . from Red Hat but receive my
defect support IBM / IGS?  By implementing the timer patch would I still
receive that support from IBM / IGS?  Perhaps another party would provide
the support?

At least within my environment everyone is sold on the idea that Red Hat
is the solution for IA32 and IA64 and that the zPlatform was still open to
discussion because of the fcp support.  Though Red Hat and SuSE are both
Linux their suite of support tools and several configuration files do
differ so to teach someone SuSE and Red Hat seems to me like educating
someone on AIX and Solaris.  It seems to be a better business call to have
one common flavor of Linux across the enterprise.  However, with support
being a potential issue who knows?  And I am not certain I can bring SuSE
into the IA32 platform given that we haven't seen yet what Novell will do
with them.  Images of Word Perfect and NOVELL Networking come to mind when
I think about the future of SuSE Linux.

Eric Sammons

"Post, Mark K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
02/04/2004 12:42 PM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port