On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:15:02PM +0330, alikhani wrote:
> hi
> I have SUSE-SMP-2.4.7  on VM . I have sendmail-8.11.3-31 . I want to run
> sendmail with sasl. I add these lines to
> /sbin/conf.d/SuSEConfig.sendmail and SuSEconfig --module sendmail
> >define(\`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', \`PLAIN')dnl
> >define(\`confDEF_AUTH_INFO', \`/etc/mail/default-auth-info')dnl
> every thing was ok . but when I am at
> /usr/lib/sasl # telnet localhost 25
> it says:
> Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
> Warning: Option: DefaultAuthInfo requires SASL support (-DSASL)
> Warning: Option: AuthOptions requires SASL support (-DSASL)
> i have /usr/share/sendmail directory but i don't know which file must i
> use to add the
> APPENDDEF(`confENVDEF',`-DSASL') ,....

Sounds like you're running SLES 7.  In order to use TLS with sendmail,
the sendmail program must be compiled with SASL support included. The
one with SLES 7 was not compiled with the right options, so TLS will
not work unless you rebuild sendmail.

Your options are:

1) Install SASL, OpenSSL, and rebuild sendmail from the source at
   www.sendmail.org.

2) Upgrade to a more modern sendmail RPM. SuSE has one for SLES 7 if
   you have a support agreement.

3) Switch to exim or postfix.

In any case sendmail 8.11 does have some open exploits. You should do
1 or 2 immediately in any case. Also, since you've been looking for
some fairly advanced features, you may seriously want to consider
#3. Of the two, exim is probably more full-featured, and it's quite a
bit easier to configure than sendmail.

(hard for me to say: I've used sendmail for decades. I like
sendmail.. but it's time to move on.)

-- db