> We are about to set up our environment utilizing the
> Linux-399 environment.
> We currently are using Microsoft sql database on windows
> platforms. We would
> like to move off it and onto a Linux sql database. Does
> anyone have any
> experience using a Linux platform sql database other than
> interfacing with
> DB2 or Oracle? The database is used for meta-data and
> transaction processing
> is not a requirement.

We have successfully used both MySQL and Postgres for different projects.
MySQL is probably slightly faster but (as of MySQL 4.x) both have
transactional capabilities.  I'm told by our apps guy that the MySQL toolset
is easier to use; I find the Postgres tools more familiar if you're used to
DB/2 or Oracle.

The industry seems to be leaning toward MySQL (cf LAMP --
Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP). Both MySQL and Postgres have been reliable and
stable.

-- db