>Being an ol' mainframe guy of 35+ years who has looked at a lot of
>languages, I say REXX in conjunction with PIPELINES is unbeatable in terms
>of writing speed and conciseness. You can get a lot of function in a few
>lines of code.

  I'm not sure that is a what we really need - for example I suspect
that one can get even more with APL !

  My own "vote" is that Perl's capabilities and power are more important
than its rough edges.  (As another ol' mainframe guy of ... years - the
jobs I had to do in SNOBOL4 or SPITBOL on the mainframe go much better
today in Perl on any platform.)

--henry schaffer

P.S. I'm more ol' than ever, but have pretty much moved out of
mainframe.