Hi all:

Background:
My client has developed an application that runs under MVS/USS.  It issues a
FORK instruction which causes MVS to create a new address space for the new
task.  Considering the new application is going to be running approximately
5,000 tasks simultaneously, this presents a significant amount of overhead.
I'm told a similar application running on an HP-UX environment (or other
pure Unix environment I guess) wouldn't have the "new address space"
overhead to contend with and the application would perform reasonably well.
Yes, I know, this is clearly an application that should be running under
CICS, but hey, I didn't design it.  I was called in after the fact.  At
least it isn't in production... yet.  Naturally, everyone is ready to trash
the mainframe and go with a Unix solution on a Unix platform, but my client
would prefer the application reside on the mainframe (too many reasons to
explain herein).

Enter L390:
I suggested we take a look at L390.  You can imagine the death stares I
received.  It went over like a lead balloon.  The primary resistance stems
from a common belief that "NOBODY's RUNNING LINUX TO DO REAL WORK" on the
mainframe.

My Questions:
   1. Is anybody out there using L390 for "production" application
workloads?
   2. If so, are you willing to share some of your experiences and provide
"real world" examples?

Oh, one last thing:
   There seems to be a belief that L390 is a port of meta code instead of
natively compiled code.  My guess is that its heavily tweaked code compiled
to run on z/Series hardware.  In fact, the more that I think about it, the
more I know it has to be rather unique considering the I/O subsystem.

TIA.

Ed Handschuh
Enterprise Operating Systems Architect
Independent Consultant