Alex deVries <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
02/19/2004 12:44 PM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Just stirring the pot

My background's in C and perl too.  And now I'm learning REXX.  It seems
to me that there are some programming constructs which I'm used to that
just aren't included in REXX.  Such as:

1. pointers, for linked lists, trees, etc

2. complex data types as parameters and return codes:

There are some people who tell me that stem variables are the best thing
ever developed and totally unique to REXX.  They seem a lot like
associative arrays in perl to me, without the ability to get a list of
keys.

But... let's say I have a stem variable with multiple tails; the only
way to pass it to a procedure or have the procedure return such a
structure is to make it a global. This is scary if you were brought up
to believe that globals evil.

THAT is mainframe. "Global" is EVIL. I always use 'use strict' and lexical
scoping. When I need the visibility across files, grudgingly use globals.

How I'd love to do:

student._name='Alex'
student._phone='737 1111'
rc=DisplayStudentData(student_.)

DisplayStudentData: Procedure
     parse arg mystudent.
     say 'Name:' mystudent._name 'Number:' mystudent._phone
return 0

3. syntax checking

Let's say I write:

myname='Alex'
say mynaem  /* note the typo */

Running this program would return 'mynaem', not a warning like "variable
mynaem not declared"

But, really, it's just another programming language.  They're not really
that different.

- Alex

--
Alex deVries