On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 15:46, Rob van der Heij wrote:
> Because the block list for Diagnose I/O has 31-bit addresses, I have a
> slight feeling that would be a problem when your virtual machine grows
> beyond 2GB. If that is the only reason then that's too bad, since I
> expect most of the 64-bit Linux virtual machines to be smaller than 2 GB
> anyway.
Even when guest storage is less than 2G, you might run into a problem when
having dasd_diag as module.
Modules are mapped and accessed in vmalloc space, because sequential
contiguous allocation in storage
of large sizes by the kernel may not succeed when memory is scattered
causing lots of swap operations
with todays Linux memory management. Therefore, the kernel address of the
diag module may be above
2G with DAT even when your real storage is less than 2G.
Bottom line: Dasd diag with 64bit Linux requires 64bit version of the
diagnose.

with kind regards
Carsten Otte
--
I saw screens of green, red messages too, then came blue, shubidu
And i think to myself, what a wonderful wo