Well, i tried upping the initial size, I quadrupled it, to no avail.  It looks like
that messages is generated around line 837 in the mkinird, before your change.

Here is the results of the bash on mkinitrd:
bash -x mkinitrd
+ kernels_default=vmlinuz vmlinuz.shipped
+ initrds_default=initrd initrd.shipped
+ kernels=
+ initrds=
+ modules=
+ boot_dir=
+ splash=auto
+ oem=
++ uname -m
+ arch=s390
+ arch=s390
+ arch=s390
+ kernels_default=kernel/image
+ initrds_default=initrd
+ splash=off
+ getopts :hk:i:m:b:d:o:s:t:D: a
++ expr 1 - 1
+ shift 0
+ '[' -n '' ']'
+ '[' '' ']'
+ root_dir=/
+ '[' xoff = xoff ']'
+ splash=
+ '[' x = xauto ']'
+ '[' -n '' ']'
+ '[' -z '' ']'
+ '[' -n '' ']'
+ '[' s390 = ppc -a kernel/image = vmlinux ']'
+ '[' -z '' ']'
+ kernels=kernel/image
+ '[' -z '' ']'
+ initrds=initrd
++ echo kernel/image
++ wc -w
+ kc=      1
++ echo initrd
++ wc -w
+ ic=      1
+ '[' 1 '!=' 1 ']'
+ '[' -z '' ']'
+ boot_dir=/boot
+ '[' -z '' ']'
+ tmp_dir=/var/tmp
+ static_shell=/bin/ash.static
+ static_insmod=/sbin/insmod.static
+ bootsplash_picture_dir=//usr/share/splash/themes/current
+ image_blocks=80980
+ image_inodes=8096
+ PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:
/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome2/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3
/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/oracle/product/9ir2/bin
+ tmp_mnt=/var/tmp/mnt3883
+ tmp_mnt_small=/var/tmp/mnt3883_small
+ tmp_msg=/var/tmp/msg3883
+ tmp_modconf=/var/tmp/modconf3883
+ lx_rc=/var/tmp/mnt3883/linuxrc
+ is_mounted=
+ is_mounted_small=
+ tmp_initrd=///var/tmp/initrd3883
+ tmp_initrd_small=///var/tmp/initrd3883_small
+ mounted_proc=
+ '[' '!' -r /proc/mounts ']'
+ '[' -z '' ']'
++ sed -e '/^[  ]*#/d'
+ read fstab_device fstab_mountpoint fstab_type fstab_options dummy
+ test / = /
+ rootdev=/dev/dasda1
+ rootfstype=ext2
+ break
+ test -z ''
+ test -z /dev/dasda1
+ realrootdev=/dev/dasda1
+ root_lvm=0
+ '[' -n /dev/dasda1 -a -b /dev/dasda1 ']'
++ ls -l /dev/dasda1
++ sed -e 's/.* \([0-9]\+\), *[0-9]\+.*/\1/'
+ major=94
+ '[' 94 -ne 58 ']'
+ '[' / '!=' / ']'
+ cat /proc/modules
+ grep -q '^zfcp'
+ test '' -a '!' -s //etc/zfcp.conf
+ zfcp_conf_contents=
+ test -f //etc/zfcp.conf
+ test -n ''
+ cat /proc/modules
+ grep -q -e '^dasd'
+ do_dasd=1
+ test -f //etc/zipl.conf
+ grep -q '^[[:space:]]*parameters=.*dasd=' //etc/zipl.conf
+ zipl_conf_with_dasd=1
+ grep '^[[:space:]]*parameters=' //etc/zipl.conf
+ grep -qv dasd=
+ grep -q '^[[:space:]]*options[[:space:]]\+dasd_mod' //etc/modules.conf
+ test 1
+ do_dasd=1
+ test ''
+ x="/dev/dasda1"
+ test -n ''
+ test /dev/dasda1 '!=' /dev/dasda1
+ echo 'using "/dev/dasda1" as root device (mounted on "/" as "ext2")'
using "/dev/dasda1" as root device (mounted on "/" as "ext2")
+ '[' -f //etc/sysconfig/kernel ']'
+ . //etc/sysconfig/kernel
++ INITRD_MODULES=
++ SHMFS_SIZE=
+ '[' -z '' ']'
+ modules=
+ '[' 0 = 1 ']'
+ '[' '' -o 0 = 1 -o '' = 1 -o -n '' -o -n '' -o s390 = s390 ']'
+ do_raid=
+ do_raid5=
+ has_xor=
+ has_jfs=
+ has_nls=
+ has_qdio=
+ '[' '' -a '!' '' ']'
+ '[' '' -a '!' '' ']'
+ '[' '' -a '!' '' ']'
+ test 1
+ test -z ''
+ grep -q ECKD /proc/dasd/devices
+ echo -e '\nFound ECKD dasd, adding dasd eckd discipline!'

Found ECKD dasd, adding dasd eckd discipline!
+ enable_module dasd_eckd_mod 'ECKD dasd'
+ modules= dasd_eckd_mod
+ echo -e '\nNote: If you want to add ECKD dasd support for later mkinitrd'

Note: If you want to add ECKD dasd support for later mkinitrd
+ echo 'calls where possibly no ECKD dasd is found, add dasd_eckd_mod'
calls where possibly no ECKD dasd is found, add dasd_eckd_mod
+ echo 'to INITRD_MODULES in /etc/sysconfig/kernel'
to INITRD_MODULES in /etc/sysconfig/kernel
+ test -z ''
+ grep -q FBA /proc/dasd/devices
+ test -z ''
+ grep -q DIAG /proc/dasd/devices
+ test ''
+ test 1
+ test 1 -o ''
+ test 1 -a ''
+ test '' = 1 -a -z ''
+ need_libc=
+ '[' 0 = 1 -o -n '' -o '' -o '' -o '' ']'
+ '[' '' ']'
+ lib=lib
+ '[' -s //lib/ld64.so.1 ']'
+ initrd_a=($initrds)
+ exit_code=0
+ kernel_idx=0
+ kk=//boot/kernel/image

+ kk=/boot/kernel/image
+ '[' -f /boot/kernel/image ']'
++ /sbin/get_kernel_version /boot/kernel/image
+ vv=2.4.21-83-default
+ ii=//boot/initrd
+ ii=/boot/initrd
+ echo

+ echo 'creating initrd "/boot/initrd" for kernel "/boot/kernel/image"'
creating initrd "/boot/initrd" for kernel "/boot/kernel/image"
+ echo -n '(version 2.4.21-83-default)'
(version 2.4.21-83-default)+ '[' s390 = s390 ']'
+ echo ' (s390)'
 (s390)
+ echo

+ '[' -d //lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/misc ']'
+ mkdir /var/tmp/mnt3883
+ dd if=/dev/zero of=///var/tmp/initrd3883 bs=1k count=80980
+ mke2fs -q -F -b 1024 -m 0 -N 8096 ///var/tmp/initrd3883
+ tune2fs -i 0 ///var/tmp/initrd3883
+ mount -t ext2 -oloop ///var/tmp/initrd3883 /var/tmp/mnt3883
+ is_mounted=1
+ rmdir /var/tmp/mnt3883/lost+found
+ mkdir /var/tmp/mnt3883/bin /var/tmp/mnt3883/dev
+ initrd_devices=//dev/{zero,null,ram0,ram1,ram2,ram,ramdisk,console,md*}
+ eval cp -a '//dev/{zero,null,ram0,ram1,ram2,ram,ramdisk,console,md*}' /var/tmp
/mnt3883/dev
++ cp -a //dev/zero //dev/null //dev/ram0 //dev/ram1 //dev/ram2 //dev/ram //dev/
ramdisk //dev/console //dev/md0 //dev/md1 //dev/md10 //dev/md11 //dev/md12 //dev
/md13 //dev/md14 //dev/md15 //dev/md16 //dev/md17 //dev/md18 //dev/md19 //dev/md
2 //dev/md20 //dev/md21 //dev/md22 //dev/md23 //dev/md24 //dev/md25 //dev/md26 /
/dev/md27 //dev/md28 //dev/md29 //dev/md3 //dev/md30 //dev/md31 //dev/md4 //dev/
md5 //dev/md6 //dev/md7 //dev/md8 //dev/md9 /var/tmp/mnt3883/dev
+ cp /bin/ash.static /var/tmp/mnt3883/bin/sh
+ cp /sbin/insmod.static /var/tmp/mnt3883/bin/insmod
+ '[' '' ']'
+ '[' 0 -eq 1 ']'
+ '[' -n '' ']'
+ '[' '' ']'
+ '[' -n '' ']'
+ '[' '' ']'
+ echo '#! /bin/sh'
+ echo
+ echo 'export PATH=/bin'
+ echo
+ chmod 755 /var/tmp/mnt3883/linuxrc
+ rm -f /var/tmp/modconf3883
+ echo depfile=//lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/modules.dep
+ mods2=
++ /sbin/modprobe -C /var/tmp/modconf3883 -v -n dasd_eckd_mod
++ sed -ne 's#^/sbin/insmod.*/\(.*\)\.o.*#\1#p'
+ modlist=dasd_mod
dasd_eckd_mod
+ '[' 'dasd_mod
dasd_eckd_mod' ']'
+ '[' '' = '' ']'
+ mods2= dasd_mod
+ '[' ' dasd_mod ' = ' dasd_mod ' ']'
+ mods2= dasd_mod  dasd_eckd_mod
++ echo dasd_mod dasd_eckd_mod
+ modules_res=dasd_mod dasd_eckd_mod
++ cd /
++ find lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/ -name dasd_mod.o
++ head -1
+ x=lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/kernel/drivers/s390/block/dasd_mod.o
+ '[' lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/kernel/drivers/s390/block/dasd_mod.o ']'
+ tar -C / -cf - lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/kernel/drivers/s390/block/dasd_mo
d.o
+ tar -C /var/tmp/mnt3883 -xpf -
+ '[' 127 '!=' 0 ']'
+ echo 'dasd_mod: failed to add module "/lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/kernel/dr
ivers/s390/block/dasd_mod.o"'
dasd_mod: failed to add module "/lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/kernel/drivers/s3
90/block/dasd_mod.o"
+ oops 6 'initrd too small'
+ echo 'initrd too small'
initrd too small
+ clean_up
+ rm -f /var/tmp/modconf3883
+ '[' 1 ']'
+ umount /var/tmp/mnt3883
+ is_mounted=
+ '[' '' ']'
+ is_mounted_small=
+ rm -f ///var/tmp/initrd3883 ///var/tmp/initrd3883.gz /var/tmp/msg3883
+ rm -f ///var/tmp/initrd3883_small ///var/tmp/initrd3883_small.gz
+ '[' -d /var/tmp/mnt3883 ']'

+ rmdir /var/tmp/mnt3883
+ '[' -d /var/tmp/mnt3883_small ']'
+ continue 2
+ umount_proc
+ '[' '' ']'
+ mounted_proc=
+ '[' 0 = 0 -a -f //etc/lilo.conf ']'
+ '[' 0 = 0 -a -f //etc/zipl.conf ']'
+ echo -e '\nRun zipl now to update the IPL record!\n'

Run zipl now to update the IPL record!

+ exit 0

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/31/04 01:31PM >>>
>> At line at 1061 which is:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=$tmp_initrd_small bs=1k count=$img_size
2>/dev/null

>> Can you remove the "2>/dev/null" portion of that, run mkinitrd again
and
>> see if you get any "No space left on device" errors?
>
> I did as you suggested, but I don't get any additional messages, it's
the
> exact same thing.

That's strange.  You should have at least seen something kind of like:
20629+0 records in
20629+0 records out
somewhere after 'creating initrd "/boot/initrd" for kernel
"/boot/kernel/image"'
but before 'dasd_mod: failed to add module
"/lib/modules/2.4.21-83-default/kernel/drivers/s3
90/block/dasd_mod.o"

initrd too small'

Does a "which mkinitrd" return /sbin/mkinitrd?

At this point I can only suggest you do a bash -x mkinitrd and post the
output in order to figure out what codepath your mkinitrd script is
taking.

I mean, you could try upping the size of the initial initrd (look for #
maximum initrd size and image_blocks=20480), but the fact that you get
zero output from the second dd though the "initrd too small" error
clearly comes after it makes me wonder what is really going on...

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.