I've been using a Linux desktop five years. Office/excel etc are no
problem especially since OpenOffice.   Later versions of Win and
Loutlook wrap things in a MS "tnef" attach which is a Microsoft
EE&E (embrace, extend, extinguish) tool.  After some digging I did found
two options to deal... you can pay for a licensed version of Evolution
which has or you can save the attach and use a standalone tnef tool.
Been using the latter... haven't taken the time to figure out how to
integrate it into Evo yet.  A pita but it works.

-- TWZ