And to put this in a *nix context instead of a VM one,
at one site that I worked, I looked after the day-to-day
running of about 15 Solaris boxes. However there
was someone who was responsible for architecting
the backup solution, someone else who was
responsible for architecting news, internet type stuff
and someone else who was responsible for security.

And there was an entire network squad who looked
after our internal network and the various "solutions"
that were provided to the customers.

SQL stuff tended to default to me 'coz the architects
didn't have any experience in it so I had that to look
after as well.

Mostly it worked but only because I spent a lot
of my time actually checking up on things and being
aware of the infrastructure. I saw lots of instances
from my colleagues where they didn't understand
enough to not do things and I spent quite some time
undoing what they'd done.

Rod