From: Dennis Musselwhite [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 9:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VSWITCH Connections

Hi Steve,

>From your note:
> def nic 3909 type qdio
> 01: NIC 3909 is created; devices 3909-390B defined Ready; T=0.01/0.01
> 22:31:41

You are caught between two definitions of even and odd.  The older OSA
microcode that we emulated with Guest LAN defines even and odd based on the
OFFSET from the control unit.  Guest LAN sees your device 0x3909 as an
EVEN-numbered device.  The chandev.conf entry listing 0x3909,0x390a,0x390b
would have worked with an older qeth driver because your odd-numbered
virtual device is really (from our definition) an even-numbered device on
the card.

If this had been a real OSA starting at 0x3900 (or a DEFINE NIC 3900 with
DEVICES 16) your device 0x3909 would have been considered an ODD numbered
device and initialization would have failed (with an older qeth driver).

So why didn't this work?  I believe the latest qeth drivers are trying to
correct a common configuration problem by looking at the virtual device
address and re-assigning the role of each device.  However, the driver
defines the odd-numbered device based on the virtual device address (instead
of the unit offset).  In your case, 0x3909 looks "odd" so qeth probably
assumes you really want to use 0x390a as the read-control device.
CP sees this as unit 001 and refuses to accept the read-control device
assignment.

How can you fix this?  Define NIC 3908 (or some other suitable EVEN numbered
device address) and adjust your chandev.conf entry to use
0x3908,0x3909,0x390a.  IF you were using 3909 because it maps to a real
device that you expect to use part-time, just define a larger NIC (e.,g. cp
def nic 3908 type qdio devices 4) so all parties are in agreement about the
odd-numbered devices.

Finally... The real OSA Express no longer requires the even/odd polarity for
read/write control devices, so I hope we will be able to lift that
restriction for Guest LAN at some point in the future.

Regards,
Dennis
Dennis Musselwhite ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) +1(607)429-3831 z/VM Development --
CP Network Simulation -- IBM Endicott NY