On Thursday, 05/13/2004 at 05:23 EST, "Cameron, Thomas"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Howdy all -
>
> I am trying to mount a filesystem exported from VM to my RHEL3 Linux
guest.  I
> can see the export when I use showmount within Linux:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# showmount -e XXXX.bankofamerica.com
> Export list for XXXX.bankofamerica.com:
> /backup/linuxtdc (everyone)
>
> But when I try to mount it I get a permission error:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mount -t nfs
XXXX.bankofamerica.com:/backup/linuxtdc
> /mnt/nfs/
> mount: XXXX.bankofamerica.com:/backup/linuxtdc failed, reason given by
server:
> Permission denied

You have 3 choices with VM NFS:
- include your VM credentials on the mount request (not recommended since
they will show up on showmount requests)
- PCNFS login as is done by many Windows clients
- Using the mountpw command (downloaded and built on your system).
mvslogin can, I think, be used instead, if you wish.

PCNFS is really the best way to do it, if there's a PCNFS client available
for Linux.

Remember, too, that the VM NFS server doesn't give a rat's behind about
your Linux UID/GID.  It will use the VM UID/GID associated with your VM
user ID.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development