From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thomas
Denier
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 2:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Time stamps and journaling file systems

We are probably going to be running a TSM server under mainframe Linux. One
of the issues we are looking into is the performance impact of different
file systems. TSM manages disk I/O in the same way as many database
packages; it preallocates large files and then overwrites specific blocks as
needed. As a result there will usually be no update activity for metadata
used in managing the allocation of disk blocks. However, the atime, ctime,
and mtime fields in the inodes will be updated. Will these updates trigger
journaling in file systems that use journaling for metadata changes? If so,
how often will these updates happen and how much performance impact will
they have?

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit