"Should" doesn't count. How many times have we heard, "In theory,
practice and theory agree. In reality, theory and practice differ"?
This is one of those times. :-)

Rob van der Heij's warning bout YaST2-sshinstall was probably exactly on
target: when I reran the install process today for my test image and
made a point of running it, it didn't look familiar to me. I can't
believe I missed it, but I apparently I did.

Before I had done all that, when I was worrying about why the runlevel
was "unknown," it didn't matter if I had the "12345" in that insttab
line or left it blank; it wasn't getting picked up either way. Forcing
the system into run level 3 with an "init 3" made it work. Getting a
clean re-install seems to have worked wonders. The system now comes up
in run level 3, and my acne's even clearing up.

I can't decide if I'm relieve to finally get this working or hugely
embarrassed that I apparently screwed up the install process so thoroughly.

Hopefully, the next time someone has odd-ball issues with run levels and
SIGNAL SHUTDOWN, these notes will aim them in the right direction.

Nick

Hall, Ken (IDS ECCS) wrote:

Mine (working) is:

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -y -g0

Should work either way though.