The plan was to leave me with the device addresses of 9000/9001/9002 -
they're 'fake' anyway. The actual devices are 8F0,8F1 and 8F2. So If they
can map the port name in the VM directory I'd be set. The thing is we have
approximately 5 weeks of in house VM experience.

I can make the /etc/chandev thing work

             Rob van der Heij
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on                                          To
             390 Port                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             IST.EDU>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: We are moving our VM from a
             05/24/2004 02:50          z/800 to a Z900 - Ethernet changes
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

James Melin wrote:

>What do I need to do in z/linux to change the port name? I've tried to
>convince the people in charge of VM that we don't need to specifiy that
>anymore, but they wanna change it. (dunno to what yet. LXnn).  I'm just
not
>sure what I need to do to prep for the changes.

The portname is in your /etc/chandev.conf . If you know the new portname
before you shutdown on the old OSA you could prepare the new file and
only need to copy it to the correct location when you only have the 3270
session. I tend to miss those opportunities so I learned the trick like
this:
   perl -pi -e 's/LXF7/LXnn/' /etc/chandev.conf

Hopefully they do the device address change in the CP directory entry of
your Linux guest, otherwise you also need to change the address in the
/etc/chandev.conf when you get the OSA at a different virtual address.

Rob