David Goodenough wrote:

You can also use sudo, and that gives two things.

Firstly very few people actually need to know the root password, and
secondly it logs everything that is done using sudo and by whom, giving you
an audit trait.  Authentication is done with their own passwords and the
/etc/sudoers file which says what that person is allowed to do.

David

Yep. If you try hard enough you can get most done through sudo and we do
so on our shared systems because of the audit trail (see
http://www.vm.ibm.com/events/nl78.PDF for proof ;-).  We still prefer to
authenticate with private key rather than type the password on all
foreign systems.
But on systems where I am the only root I tend to logon root directly
through public/private keys.

Rob