On Gwe, 2004-05-28 at 20:43, Janek Jakubek wrote:
> We had a TCPIP performance issue when we upgraded from
> OS/390 2.7 to 2.10. The conclusion of that the problem is attached
> below (from an IBM ETR record).
> This could be another lead to follow ....

Except that the problem occurs with an 8K MTU where you would be
streaming 8K chunks , unless the latency of the link is horrible in
which case you should check the zOS TCP stack supports the window scale
feature. If not then you might want to remind your vendor that its not
exactly "new". With large windows you can use more buffer space to hide
the latency problem. Normally this applies to satellite links but if VM
is having to thrash between guest OS's maybe there are similar issues.

Be careful turning Nagle off btw - while it may improve individual
throughput on a network as opposed to point to point hop it can lead to
some really horrible network and stack inefficiencies.