The number is more than 30 worldwide, that much I know. I can come up with
30 companies that I know of off the top of my head. Consider also this
particular caveat. Most of the Linux on big iron people are using z/VM.
Many have dozens if not hundreds of z/VM Linux guests.  So lets say for
argument, that there are 500 companies worldwide with Linux/390 in
production. And let's say that they are running 50 Linux guests each, in
production, and perhaps 25 in test. So 75 Linux instances per. This is not
an unreasonable number.  That's 37,500 Linux server IMAGES in that 500
company scenario. So 500 mainframes replaced 37,500 stand alone Intel
boxes, in that scenario.

While the real world numbers would of course be different, I cite the above
scenario just to point out that one mainframe /= 1 Linux instance..

             Adam Thornton
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             mine.net>                                                  To
             Sent by: Linux on         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Linux/390 in production

             06/14/2004 04:06
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 15:27, realworldtech.com wrote:
> I was recently informed that there are only about 30 sites worldwide
running Linux/390 in production.   Is this accurate?

That seems awfully, awfully low to me.

Adam