From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Brandon Darbro
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 1:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: J2EE performance?

I've had the opportunity to play with JBOSS recently, as well as watch
some Websphere testing on our linux guests, and I'm not very happy with
the performance and resource utilization.

Let's see... what can I tell you about our system:

* z800
* 2 IFL's (tested using single and dual, still slow) in LPAR
* z/VM 4.4.0
* guest lan networking
* 256 meg RAM
* 512 meg vdisk swap

Observations:

* Turning of hz_timer patch helps lower CPU utilization footprint of
the java processes, but of course, then the system never sleeps.
* When running a J2EE app, it takes often over a minute to finish
rendering a page to a browser.
* When running a J2EE app, java consumes an entire IFL of cpu if we let
it.

I understand others are successfully running J2EE implimentations on
mainframe Linux, so here are my questions:

1.  Is J2EE a cpu resource hog for you?
2.  Are you running Linux under VM or right on the LPAR?
3.  Do you charge users for MIP usage?  If so, how does this high CPU
utilization not eat your customer alive in billed costs?
4.  Does anyone have some advice on how to run J2EE services more
efficiently, faster and easier on cpu?
5.  Which J2EE server software for mainframe Linux do you prefer and
why?
6.  Lastly, why would you choose to run J2EE on mainframe Linux as
apposed to some stand-alone system (Unix, Windows, Other)?

Thanks folks,
*Brandon Darbro