There is also a paper out there on using PAV with LVM volumes. That might
improve your performance as well. I don't recall the name of the paper or
the link to it, as it was dropped on my desk printed and is now on someone
elses desk, but the gist was that with LVM, you can certainly take
advantage of PAV devices and get that benefit. If anyone has a link to that
paper, could you post it?

             Adam Thornton
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             mine.net>                                                  To
             Sent by: Linux on         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Performance of large file
                                       systems
             07/15/2004 09:30
             AM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 09:21, Thomas Denier wrote:
> We are considerng a file organization with rather unusual
characteristics,
> and are wondering if we are likely to run into performance pathologies.

I don't see anything, since there are plenty of paths to the DASD.

However, it's impossible to say anything really intelligent about it
without knowing whether all those devices are on different CHPIDs.  With
only a few hundred (each largish) files your search penalties won't be
extreme.

Ext3 seems like the right choice to me, largely because I'm scared of
reiserfs.  I think you won't really know until you test it though.

Adam