> Comparisons between an in house Domino app when run on a 800Mhz Wintel
> with 500MB RAM versus a SLES8 zLinux guest machine with 256MB
> storage and
> 300MB of VDISK swap on an almost idle 192 MIP IFL show the Wintel box
> processing about 3 times faster.  The numbers are coming from
> the Domino
> web log.
> Anyone else experience the same?

Yeah, that's what we saw in testing too. It's not too surprising. Most
Domino apps tend to be CPU- and numerically- intensive (think about
what's doing all that script interpretation and graphical stuff, and how
much of it assumes/requires heavy floating-point calculation), so you're
seeing the slower CPU speed of the 390. Cycles aren't infinite on the
390, and Lotus doesn't compensate well.

Domino's OK for mail on the 390 platform, but it's no gem for
applications. If you get a chance, try running the app from the
dedicated Windows client against the 390 server and compare results.
Some of the performance difference should go away for the things that
can be offloaded to the client processor. May not help in your
situation, but it tends to point up where Lotus needs to do some work on
Domino on platforms where CPU isn't infinite or free.

-- db