On Mer, 2004-07-28 at 15:25, James Melin wrote:
> the application data is local. If there are any of the Linux Kernal
> developers monitoring this list, add my voice to those that are telling you
> that not being able to control cache behavior is a  really frustrating when
> working in a virtualized environment where you are trying to divide limited
> resources amongst many guests. The Cache behaviour is the biggest
> non-application pig that I can see.

I think its fair to say that

a) Almost none of the linux developer community has a 390
b) We all know about the issue
c) IBM haven't as far as I know attacked it yet

On the positive side its a solved problem in the x86 virtualisation
space where Xen uses a driver to pull memory out of virtual machines
according to overall system requirements (in essence the driver
allocates memory according to load and gives it back to the VM then when
the kernel wants more allocates from the VM and gives back to the
kernel)

Xen does this without any core kernel vm changes