On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 11:29, Ferguson, Neale wrote:
> Paper: Achieving CAPP/EAL3+ Security Certification for Linux
> See:
> http://www-124.ibm.com/linux/presentations/ols2004/sec-cert-OLS_04.pdf

I tried 'securing' a server by following the recommendations associated
with this paper.  Basically, it works great for an idle server.  The
second I installed any sort of application (IHS or WebSphere) and tried
to use the server for a purpose, all Hell broke loose.

Auditing filled /var and I couldn't even log in to fix the problem.

I couldn't stop the audit module because the audit, laus, and pam-laus
pieces are so intertwined.

I could only log in, after a reboot, if I stop and restarted the ssh
daemon.

A simple ulimit -n 2048 wasn't authorized anymore.

If I was more fluent in PAMense, I might have gotten around these
issues, but the EAL3+ specifications are so strict that I don't see how
any server can be expected to be used in a production environment.  I
had to add 20+ packages to the package.tolerated list so I could install
application software or manage the server.  For example, LVM is not
allowed and we depend greatly on that for managing our DASD.