This is one possible architecture.  Whether it's recommended or not depends on why you
want to do it.

The advantages are
1) saving disk space.  Depending on how expensive dasd is in your organization, this
can be considerable.
2) Allowing minidisk cacheing to take place, reducing the number of physical I/O's and
speeding up response.
3) keeping your users from installing programs or making modifications on their own
and then calling you at three in the morning when their server goes down.  then you
find out after two hours of work that the problem is some modification they made.
4) Creating a "standard" version of Linux that is easily deployable.

The disadvantages are:
1)  Service is much more difficult.  You have to install updates on a test server,
then compare before and after with tripwire to see what files were updated on /usr and
which were not.  You have to route the non-/usr files around then swap /usr disks and
reboot.  You end up having almost as many /usr disks with different versions on them
than you would have if everybody just had their own disk.  I've got 38 servers and 6
different shared /usr disks, not to mention 4 or 5 servers with non-shared /usr.
2) you have altercations with users who want to write to the /usr disk.  Usually you
can get around it by loop-mounting a subdirectory in /home over a /usr subdirectory.
Installing WebSphere with a read-only /usr is virtually impossible, as are other
program products.

I'd say if all of your linux servers are essentially identical, shared /usr makes a
lot of sense.  If they are all configured differently, question it.

We've been using shared /usr for about three years.  We are considering going to
individual read-write /usr areas with SLES9, just for the ease in maintenance.  Disk
is cheap here.  We bill our customers only $6.14 per gigabyte per month for 3390 dasd
storage. A full-pack 3390-3 for /usr is about 80% full and is about 2.2GB.

Check out my presentation at SHARE on this topic at
http://linuxvm.org/present/SHARE101/S9343GWa.pdf

So one elephant says to another, "You'll never believe what happened last night. I was
trying on Groucho Marx's pajamas--and he shot me!"
Gordon Wolfe, Ph.D. (425)865-5940
VM Technical Services, The Boeing Company