On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 15:08, Noll, Ralph wrote:
> linux2003:/etc# iptables -L -n
> Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
> ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED

...stuff...

Yeah, so you've got a monstrously complicated iptables setup there.

I guess the question is, is it basically working (other than, pings
don't work)?  That is, can you get to it via ssh and stuff?  It
looks--and I didn't even try to figure all this out--like you've got a
default iptables configuration that tries to harden the box against
portscans and stuff.

That's not a bad thing.

If you trust the network the box is on, you could just kill all the
iptables stuff:

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -t INPUT -F
iptables -t OUTPUT -F
iptables -t FORWARD -F

(Do the policy stuff (the first three lines) first, or you're in for a
nasty shock when you flush the rulesets.....)

Adam