If you watch the console long enough, do you see anything like:

__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed

or

VM: killing process?

How large did you define the guest?  How much is a "small amount" of
swap?  What kind of workload?  What error message do you get when you
try to log onto the linux console?

Also, by default SLES8 kicks off sa every 10 minutes.  If you're lucky
you might get one of these "hangs" shortly after one of these 10 minute
intervals.  It might be interesting to check out the system activity
data.  Something like:

/usr/bin/sar -u -r -f /var/log/sa/sa.2004_09_15

You can further narrow it if you want by specifying a start and end
time, like:

/usr/bin/sar -s 08:00:00 -e 09:00:00 -u -r -f /var/log/sa/sa.2004_09_15

~ Daniel

Pings