On Saturday, 10/23/2004 at 08:48ZE10, Vic Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Back to the IOCDS then: since we are really trying to work in LCS mode,
> is OSE the correct CHPID type?  Should it be OSA?

>From Gadi's original post:
         CHPID PATH=(CSS(0),02),SHARED,                                *
               PARTITION=((LINTST,PROD,TEST),(=)),TYPE=OSE,            *
               PCHID=141
         CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=1200,PATH=((CSS(0),02)),UNIT=OSA
         IODEVICE ADDRESS=(1200,253),CUNUMBR=(1200),UNIT=OSA
         IODEVICE ADDRESS=(12FE,1),CUNUMBR=(1200),UNIT=OSAD

CHPID type is correctly set to OSE, indicating non-QDIO mode.  TYPE=OSA
was used only on the original OSA and OSA-2.  The UNIT=OSA and UNIT=OSAD
are also correct.  From the IOCP book:

UNIT=device
  specifies the device type. You specify a maximum of 8 alphanumeric
  or special (#, @, or $) characters to define the device type (such as,
  3390 or 3590). IOCP only checks the syntax for alphanumeric or
  special characters. IOCP does not validate the device value except for
  devices assigned to OSA, OSD, or OSE channel paths. For OSA,
  OSD, and OSE channel paths, IOCP expects devices with unit
  addresses in the range 00-FD to have a value of OSA and the device
  with unit address FE to have a value of OSAD.

The non-OSAs, the value of UNIT is meaningless to Linux and VM.  After all
these years, MVS still uses the field to carry I/O config information. And
since IOCP already knows what the correct values are, it could generate
them.  But, again, it really isn't for IOCP's benefit.

To recall Gadi's problem:  The LCS driver was hanging during load.

Now that all the distractions are past, hopefully someone will have some
helpful advice!

Alan Altmark