On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:21:36PM -0600, Mark Wheeler wrote:
> Has anyone successfully connected to a VSWITCH from a RHEL 3 guest? In our
> first go-around the real switch port we're connected to was configured as a
> host port, and we were able to get through. When it was reconfigured as a
> trunk port (where we want to be), I can't seem to make the connection. I'm
> running kernel 2.4.21-9.

Since it all worked when the switch port was 'host', that proves your VSWITCH
attachment to the Linux guest is okay.  Perhaps the trunk port was not added
to all the VLANs it needs to belong to, or the routing instance in the switch
does not belong to the right VLAN.

Try changing things incrementally.  Instead of changing from no-VLAN-at-all
to fully-VLAN, try GRANTing your guest just to a single VLAN with no VLAN
config in your Linux guest.  This will mean the VSWITCH will do your VLAN
tagging for the VLAN you want (the one you GRANT the guest to) on the guest's
behalf, which will test the switch configuration.  If that works okay, then
progress to configuring a single VLAN virtual interface in Linux for the VLAN
you're GRANTed to -- this should function the same.  When that works, add
additional VLAN virtual interfaces in Linux.

>  q vswitch all det
> VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWF9    Type: VSWITCH  Active: 1     MAXCONN: INFINITE
>   PERSISTENT  RESTRICTED    PRIROUTER  MFS: 8192     ACCOUNTING: OFF
>   State: Ready
>   CONTROLLER: VSWCTL2       IPTIMEOUT: 5             QUEUESTORAGE: 8
>   PORTNAME: OSAF9           RDEV: F900 VDEV: FFF0
>   RX Packets: 0          Discarded: 0          Errors: 0
>   TX Packets: 58         Discarded: 0          Errors: 0
>   RX Bytes: 0                    TX Bytes: 4872
>     Authorized userids:
>       L277747R VLAN:  4066   4067
>       SYSTEM   VLAN:  ANY
>     VSWITCH Connection:
>       Device: FFF2  Unit: 002   Role: DATA
>       VLAN: ANY  Assigned by user
>     Adapter Owner: L277747R NIC: 2D00  Name: L277747R
>       Device: 2D02  Unit: 002   Role: DATA
>       VLAN: ANY  Assigned by user
>
> /etc/chandev.conf
>       noauto
>       qeth0,0x1d00,0x1d01,0x1d02,0,0
>
> qeth1,0x2d00,0x2d01,0x2d02,0,0;add_parms,0x10,0x2d00,0x2d02,portname:L277747R
> /etc/sysconfig/network
>       NETWORKING=yes
>       HOSTNAME=l277747r
>       VLAN=yes
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1.4066
>       DEVICE=eth1.4066
>       BOOTPROTO=static
>       IPADDR=169.10.238.131
>       NETMASK=255.255.255.192
>       ONBOOT=yes
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1.4067
>       DEVICE=eth1.4067
>       BOOTPROTO=static
>       IPADDR=169.10.238.194
>       NETMASK=255.255.255.192
>       ONBOOT=yes
> /proc/net/vlan/config
>       VLAN Dev name    | VLAN ID
>       Name-Type: VLAN_NAME_TYPE_RAW_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
>       eth1.4066      | 4066  | eth1
>       eth1.4067      | 4067  | eth1

I don't see what your ifcfg-eth1 looks like.  Possibly the problem is that
you still have an IP address and/or route table entries on the non-VLAN
primary interface, and your traffic is being discarded (since you're GRANTed
to more than one VLAN ID, VSWITCH will not tag-and-send untagged frames since
it cannot guess which VLAN ID to tag them with).

Also, I see a qeth0 in your chandev.conf: make sure that traffic is not being
routed out that interface instead of through the VSWITCH.  If you're still
having trouble, we'll need to see the output of your favourite route table
display command (netstat -r, route, ip route ls).

Cheers,
Vic Cross