>a little question: if I have some "Penguins" installed on z900 (z/VM 4.4)
and
>I change the Big Iron with a z990, did I have any improvement if I
reinstall
>the linux machines?
No, the code shipped by the distribution partners and all middleware I
know of is optimized for the 800/900 series.
No need to reinstall.
You will still see the performance advantage of the new engines. Note that
gcc can optimize for 890/990 too,
the result would be a little faster but it would not run on 800/900
anymore.

with kind regards
Carsten Otte
--
omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur, nondum
habetur, quomodo habenda est