I'm playing with an initrd that need to support a minimal boot from a VM image .
What I'm confused by is the inner working of initrd I understood the
initrd is supposed to get unzipped and opened the before the kernel
kicks in...
So how come I get a ...

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
VFS: Cannot open root device "dasdb1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

When I read about it som ethreads talked about either lacking ext2
support or block driver support...
But isn't that the linuxrc's job to load these?
Are there modules that get loaded before the linuxrc is executed?
many thanks for any help -
regards -
--
Peace Love and Penguins -