The contents of /var/lib/rpm/.  But, you should be able to get YaST to
re-install them anyway.  Just set the filter to "all updates" instead of
"installable," I think.

From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Peter E. Abresch Jr. - at Pepco
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 1:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 5e:01

I restored my root file system to recover from this error. I restored
everthing except /var, /tmp, /home, and /opt. SuSE told me to run mkinitrd
and then a zipl. I never ran the mkinitrd. YAST2 no longer shows these
updates as available. I assume because the RPM database still thinks that
they are installed. What do I need to restore to recover the RPM databases?
Thanks for information.

Peter

             Peter E
             Abresch/EP/PEP
             12/19/2004 09:54          Linux on 390 Port
             AM                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
                                       5e:01(Document link: Peter Abresch)

I am getting the exact same error after applying the latest SuSE updates
that brought my kernel from 2.4.24.251 to 2.4.24.261. One of those updates
was for reiser. My root file system is reiser. I went through this exercise
twice and verified that there is noting wrong with my zipl.conf and that it
was executed correctly. To make matters worse, I could not even mount the
filesystem from my emergency Linux.

> linuxd01:/home/abrescp # mount -t reiserfs /dev/dasdf1 /mnt
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/dasdf1,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
> linuxd01:/home/abrescp # mount /dev/dasdf1 /mnt
> mount: error while guessing filesystem type
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> linuxd01:/home/abrescp #

There is a component of this maintenance that is corrupting the root file
system. My only option was to restore.

I have reported the problem to SuSE but have not heard anything. If I can
get some time, I will attempt to isolate the problem to a particular patch.

             ralph noll
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             .FM>                                                       To
             Sent by: Linux on         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject

             12/18/2004 04:20
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

 dasd: No device registered as (94:1)
VFS: Cannot open root device "dasda1" or 5e:01
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 5e:01

I have shutdown my linuxrtr... Linux under z/vm acting like a router
Suse linux...

Above is the error I am getting..

Please help

Thanks a bunch

Ralph
--
  ralph noll
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any
copies.  PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory
or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal
right by Email communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect
of such communications.