Bill,

Thanks for the reply.
I am tempted to try defining two virtual processors for the Domino virtual
machine, even though there is only one real processor.   I know this is
contrary to conventional wisdom, but it might make sense in this situation.
If I understand your comment, with only one virtual processor , if a long
running mgmt task is executing, no other task (such as an email function)
can be initiated until the mgmt task completes.  The users might find this
delay to be annoying.  If one defines two virtual processors, and a mgmt
task is executing, there would still be a virtual processor for another
task.  Admittedly, the two virtual machine blocks corresponding to the two
virtual processors would be competing with each other as well as with other
virtual machines for the single real processor.  But at least the work
associated with the non-mgmt task would advance through the queue and would
eventually receive a time slice.  The response time might not be great, but
it might be better than the one virtual  processor alternative.  This might
make for an interesting (and, I hope, simple) experiment.  Does this make
any sense or would the use of two virtual processors risk some sort of  a
locking situation within Domino?  Any comments you can offer would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

                  - doug

             Bill Bitner
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Domino on LINUX/VM

             12/23/2004 11:21
             AM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

Doug,
The primary concern for running Domino in a 1-way configuraiton
is to avoid a background or mgmt Domino task from taking over the
system. The thought being that a second processor allows one to allow
other work to run. Depending on the heaviness of your Domino users,
you maybe be able to run a fair amount on a single IFL. However, you'll
need to be aware of the potential to lock out end users for periods of
time due to these background tasks.

Bill Bitner - VM Performance Evaluation - IBM Endicott - 607-429-3286

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.