For us "non-VM" aware users, can I assume that the command "CP LINK" causes
the new root disk to be available -- aka "online", to the original or
(old/source) system?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Shilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 8:34 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Moving root to a new volume

Here is a list of the steps I did to move my root disk. YMMV.  Good Luck.

   Shut down my target system
   From a second system, CP LINK to the old root system and the new root
   disk
   dasdfmt -b 4096 -v -f /dev/dasdd             [This prepares the disk to
   receive the data. ]
   fdasd -a -b 4096 /dev/dasdd
   mke2fs -j -b 4096 /dev/dasdd1
   mount old root system as /oldroot
   mount new disk as /mnt
   cp --preserve=all --recursive /oldroot/* /mnt/   [There are two dashses
   before preserve and recursive]
   cd /mnt/etc
   Create the zipl.ths.conf file below.
   cd /mnt/sbin
   ./zipl -c /mnt/etc/zipl.ths.conf             [You want to execute the
   copy of zipl on the target system]
   cd /                                   [You need to get out of /mnt so
   you can umount it.]
   umount /mnt
   umount /oldroot
   CP DET the two minidisks
   Modify the directory of the targe system to swap the addresses of the
   old and new root disks.
   Boot the target system

<newroot>/etc/zipl.ths.conf:

# Generated by YaST2
[defaultboot]
default=ipl

[ipl]
target=/mnt/boot/zipl
image=/mnt/boot/kernel/image
ramdisk=/mnt/boot/initrd
parameters="dasd=201-20F root=/dev/dasda1"

<newroot>/etc/fstab:

/dev/dasda1          /                          ext3        defaults
            1 1
/dev/dasdc1          /home                ext3        defaults
            1 2
/dev/dasdb1          /usr                       ext3        defaults
            1 2
devpts                     /dev/pts             devpts      mode=0620,gid=5
      0 0
proc                         /proc                    proc       defaults
            0 0

tom
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Toto, I have a feeling we're not in the mainframe world any more.
   _/)                  Tom Shilson
~~~~~            GEDW & VM System Services
Aloha               Tel:  651-733-7591       tshilson at mmm dot com
                           Fax:  651-736-7689

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 12/28/2004 08:42:49
AM:

> Hi all,
>
> When I initially installed my Linux Instances, I used MOD-3's.  I
> would now like to move them to MOD-9's because my boss wants to
> reconfigure all the DASD to MOD-9's.  How can I accomplish moving root
> to a new volume and get it to IPL off that new volume?
>
> Thanks
> Gene

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit