From: Dave Jones [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 8:04 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Suse 9.0 installation

I can add my experiences trying to install SLES9 on a z/VM 5.1 system...and
none of them are good.

My installation server is an Intel box, running SuSE SLES9. The Intel box
has a great deal of disk storage available, so I just put the 6 .iso files
onto the server. I just do a simple mount -o loop -t iso9660 to make the cd
images available. So far, so good.

After booting the initial SLES9 install VM kernel and ram disk, in a 512M
virtual machine and getting the networking setup and working (eth0 on a QDIO
gLAN) without too much difficulty, I choose SSH and FTP for performing the
basic installation, and I specify location of the install media as /CD1
(where I have mounted the CD1.iso file). I then log on, using SSH and start
yast. After successfully creating the dasd partitions and making the mount
points, yast reports the following error:

  Cannot read package data from installation media. Media error?

On the Intel SLES9 server, I can navigate and view the files on /CD1, and
they all appear OK. Anybody got a clue as to what's wrong?

TIA.

DJ

--
Dave Jones