Verify the checksum of your iso files and make sure they are good.

I have included a "cat mkinstallroot" make sure that the location from where
you mount and copy the CDs is accessible to the script.  I used
/ISO_Images_Dir only as an example directory location.  Yours will be
different.

Doug

# cat mkinstallroot
# Battling with the linux configuration I ended up writing a
# script (that also copies the CDs' contents) to be
# sure of the steps. It would be nice if SuSE picked
# it up.  Hope it helps:
#
# Written by:
# -Mike MacIsaac, IBM  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (845) 433-7061
#
# F0r LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access
# instructions, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
# http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390
#
#
function mountCopy
# arg 1: the ISO image to mount
# arg 2: the directory to copy to
 {
  mount -o loop,ro $1 tmpCD
  cd tmpCD
  cp -a * ../installroot/$2
  cd ..
  umount tmpCD
 }

# main()
# make the directory structure
mkdir installroot tmpCD
cd installroot/
mkdir sles9 core9 yast
cd sles9
mkdir CD1
cd ../core9/
mkdir CD1 CD2 CD3 CD4 CD5
cd ../..

# mount and copy the 6 CDs
mountCopy /ISO_Images_Dir/SLES-9-s390-RC5a-CD1.iso sles9/CD1/
mountCopy /ISO_Images_Dir/SLES-9-s390-RC5-CD2.iso core9/CD1/
mountCopy /ISO_Images_Dir/SLES-9-s390-RC5-CD3.iso core9/CD2/
mountCopy /ISO_Images_Dir/SLES-9-s390-RC5-CD4.iso core9/CD3/
mountCopy /ISO_Images_Dir/SLES-9-s390-RC5-CD5.iso core9/CD4/
mountCopy /ISO_Images_Dir/SLES-9-s390-RC5-CD6.iso core9/CD5/
rmdir tmpCD/

# make symbolic links
cd installroot
ln -s sles9/CD1/boot boot
ln -s sles9/CD1/content content
ln -s sles9/CD1/control.xml control.xml
ln -s sles9/CD1/media.1 media.1

echo -e "/sles9/CD1 /sles9/CD1\n/core9/CD1 /core9/CD1" > yast/instorder
echo -e "/sles9/CD1 /sles9/CD1\n/core9/CD1 /core9/CD1" > yast/order