From: Adam Thornton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 9:34 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Having 1 linux kernel

On Jan 26, 2005, at 8:39 AM, Noll, Ralph wrote:

> Is there any doc on setting up 1 linux kernel and all linux guests
> booting from That 1 kernel...
>
> Right now I have 8 linux guests all with separate boot disks...
>
> Be nice to have just one..

You can put the kernel in NSS and then everyone can IPL that shared
segment, but that doesn't really get you around needing some per-machine
unique r/w DASD.  Although with a shared kernel in NSS and smart use of
basevol/guestvol, you could probably get a system with minimal writeable
DASD.

http://www.vm.ibm.com/linux/linuxnss.html tells you how to do the NSS
trick.  Ignore the "64M is recommended" bit; I've done it successfully
in 12M.  Do it in the smallest size you're ever going to want to run
with.

Adam

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390