On Jan 21, 2005, at 3:40 PM, David Boyes wrote:

What I use is:

1) / as ext2 or ext3 (depending on distribution and platform -- usually
ext2 on zSeries)

2) all other filesystems as ext3

3) if a file system needs to be bigger than a physical volume, then use
LVM and create ext3 filesystems on the logical volumes created by LVM.

That works on pretty-much all flavors of Linux and all platforms, and
if
something goes horribly wrong, then diagnostics are pretty
straightforward, and I can usually get the systems up to the point that
you can at least try to fix things w/o a rescue system.

In general, I agree with David, with the following addenda:

Sometimes it's nice to separate /boot out into its own partition,
holding basically the kernel, the initrd (if applicable), and the IPL
code at the start of the partition.  This can easily be ext2 because
it's only 20-30 MB, usually (depending on how many old kernel versions
you want to keep) and therefore is very quick to check.

Also, some people have reported success with ReiserFS on LVM
partitions.  ReiserFS is great if you have lots of little files.
However, we encountered a situation where we got nasty data corruption
with it under extremely heavy load.  I do not know if this has been
fixed in more recent versions of it, but it was enough to scare me off
ReiserFS on S/390.  Ext3 is not great performance but it is very
reliable and has what I think is a great advantage that an ext3 fs is
an ext2 fs plus stuff, so you can work with it, if you need to, as if
it were an ext2 filesystem, which makes recovery somewhat easier (not
nearly as easy, of course, as having decent backups in the first
place!).

Adam