Sure you can:

# dasdview -j /dev/dasdb
LINUX1
# fdasd /dev/dasdb
Command action
   v   change volume serial

Command (m for help): v
Please specify the new volume serial (6 characters).
(Press ENTER if you do not want to change it)

current: LINUX1
new:     test99

volume identifier changed to 'TEST99'

Command (m for help): w
writing volume label...
writing VTOC...
rereading partition table...
# dasdview -j /dev/dasdb
TEST99

And make sure not to change the partition table, otherwise you will get rid
of your data :)

regards,
Volker

Linux on zSeries Development