Mike,

For SP1, I didn't try using Section 5.3.1 because my desktop linux yast
doesn't have "Misc / Install Server".

So, I essentially setup a new folder for the SP1 CDs, like what I summarized
on my earlier post. I have no idea how a "merged" install tree would look
like.  Repeating my SP1 install here:

For SP1 upgrade, I used the following procedure:

In the Install server:
1) download SP1 iso images for CD1, CD2
2) mount loop iso images to tmp dir
3) created diretory: /sles9-s3900-sp1/CD1, /sles9-s3900-sp1/CD2
4) copied iso files from tmp to above directories
5) using yast, NFS export /sles9-s3900-sp1

In target Image:
1) register new install source:
   -yast
    software / Change source of Installation
    add:
     install_server / sles9-s3900-sp1/CD1  (CD1 only, CD2 not reqd)
     move to top of list
 2) do the upgrade:
    - yast
      software / system update