<FRUSTRATION>
 Then why doesn't it say a 2074 is required anywhere in the Guide for
Automated Installation and Service (GC24-6099-01). Equally it is not
mentioned in the SAPR and none of my account team are familliar with
this.
<Quote>
In Step 1 sub para 4 (p12) it only says:

If you are installing with CDROM and you are:
 Installing from a PS/2 with OMA/2, refer to the Optical Media Attach/2
Users Guide and the Optical Media Attach/2 Technical Reference.
 Installing from a 2074 Console Support controller capable of reading
Optical Media Attach format, refer to the AWSOMA.DOC in the service
Element directories.
</QUOTE>

I would (and did) read the first line as if you are using the below
mentioned equipment read the other data otherwise continue as detailed.

I'll be putting this into a RCF but just had to vent !

Alan, Thanks for your help

(note there is no end frustration symbol at this point)
On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 01:54 -0500, Alan Altmark wrote:
> On Friday, 02/04/2005 at 04:08 PST, Ranga Nathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > The CD for z/VM is meant for the unit  that emulates tape. You need the
> > DVD media. The same thing happened to us. We do not have that kind of CD
> > drive. We only have DVD drive. We ordered the DVD media and that worked
> > fine.
> >
> > We assume that CD media should work on DVD. But the CD media that IBM
> cuts
> > is meant for the CD unit that emulates tape :-(
>
> The z/VM V5 CD is for use with the IBM 2074 Model 2 or later that has a
> CD-ROM drive in it that emulates an IBM 3422 tape.  I believe it can also
> be used with FLEX-ES.
>
> Its format is not suitable for use with the DVD drive in the HMC.
>
> Alan Altmark
> z/VM Development
> IBM Endicott

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit

Jerry Whitteridge
Safeway Inc.
PH: 925 951 4184
Fax:925 951 4204

"MMS <safeway.com>" made the following annotations.
Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the Safeway corporate
e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain information proprietary to Safeway and is
intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have
received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately.