Well, this all works as we hoped and expected.  The "lvreduce" command
removes logical extents, and their underlying physical extents, beginning
at the highest number and working back.  So, the last volume added to the
LV is where it starts the reduction.  I performed the following steps to
remove the last unused volume.

1) lvreduce -v -L -2340M /dev/xsg1/winxs_lv1

2) lvdisplay showed /dev/dasdbk1 was no longer part of the LV:

    lvdisplay -v /dev/xsg1/winxs_lv1

   --- Distribution of logical volume on 13 physical volumes  ---
   PV Name                  PE on PV     reads      writes
   /dev/dasdg1              586          29721947   1976928
   /dev/dasdh1              586          7748       137092
   /dev/dasdi1              586          531740     35392725
   /dev/dasdj1              586          18156627   1374479
   /dev/dasdq1              586          3198441    586790
   /dev/dasdr1              586          2355021    1577484
   /dev/dasds1              586          255422     1344139
   /dev/dasdbe1             585          0          0
   /dev/dasdbf1             585          0          0
   /dev/dasdbg1             585          0          0
   /dev/dasdbh1             585          0          0
   /dev/dasdbi1             585          0          0
   /dev/dasdbj1             585          0          0

3) vgreduce -v xsg1 /dev/dasdbk1

I was then able to assign the removed volume to the VG for which it was
originally intended.

Remember, in my case the LV was NOT striped and the filesystem was not yet
resized so the last volume was totally unused.  If the filesystem had been
resized, an additional step to shrink the filesystem would have had to be
done.

Thanks to all who replied...

Hank Calzaretta

"Hall, Ken (IDS DCS PE)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
02/07/2005 01:45 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: lvreduce question

I'm pretty sure I tried that, and it didn't work.  Striping seemed to be
all-or-nothing, but it's been a while and I'm not sure I tried all of the
variations.

Some versions of the lvextend man page seem to indicate that you can
extend an LV by increments equal to the number of stripes, i.e., you can
add 5 PV's to an existing LV with 5 stripes, but this runs counter to my
experiments where it simply wouldn't work if #PV<>#stripes.  I originally
assumed that you could simply have any number of stripes as long as that
was evenly divisible into the number of PVs, but it didn't work, and it
took me a LONG time to get confirmation of that.

Should be easy to test, but unfortunately, I don't have a properly
configured test system handy.